It is one of the most emblematic buildings in the Dominican Republic, the Columbus Alcazar starred a leading role while planning the travels for the Spanish conquerors and served as a point of support to the names that were linked forever to the Hispanic-American history.
Prelude to the arrival of Pizarro, Cortés, Velázquez and Balboa. Just before they leave for the target that each had reserved – Peru, Mexico, Cuba and Panama – and linked its name to each of those countries, Spaniards had established a kind of headquarters in the Alcazar de Colón of Santo Domingo and, from there, they ended plotting the routes for their adventurous trips.
With a Gothic Mudejar style, the former Palace of the Viceroyalty, was a gift of King Ferdinand the Catholic to Diego Colón, the eldest son of Christopher Columbus. The King of the Crown of Aragon, granted the approval to the son of the Admiral, who came to the Dominican Republic to establish himself as Viceroy of ‘Las Indias’.
The Columbus Alcazar should provide a dwelling for himself and his descendants while they lived on the island. And so it was, because three generations of descendants of the Viceroy had lived there.
Built with blocks of coral rock, the Palace of Columbus acquires Renaissance shades and some strokes of Elizabethan style. From its 55 rooms, actually you can only enjoy 22, and according to the story, not even a single nail was used in the construction of the great building.
Today, the magnificent building built between 1510 and 1514 by a thousand and a half of indigenous, houses an important collection of religious objects, paintings, armor and furniture from the 13th to the 20th centuries. It is the Columbus Alcazar Museum of Santo Domingo.
Creative Commons Image: Flickr/calu777